Are you nervous about discussing your health and diet? Don’t be! Here at Apps Chiropractic & Wellness we want you to feel like family. When you start any new journey in life, it can be scary and overwhelming. That is why we take the time to listen closely to your needs to better understand where you are right now in terms of your lifestyle and diet.
Apps Chiropractic & Wellness wants to help you achieve your goals working alongside you.
Who needs Nutritional Counseling?
Most people can benefit from working on their nutrition for various reasons. Whether you need a complete diet overhaul, looking to manage a medical condition, fine-tuning your food choices or getting inspired for a new, healthy you, we are here to help. It is important to let Apps Chiropractic & Wellness know if you have any underlying medical conditions; such as elevated blood sugar / cholesterol or blood pressure issues.
Some patients come in for nutritional counseling to learn more about their food choices while others are affected by their health. Whatever the reason, we are here to help! The following are a few of the conditions that can benefit specifically from dietary interventions:
• Heart disease
• High blood pressure
• High cholesterol
• Diabetes and pre-diabetic conditions
• Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
• Celiac disease
• Obesity or overweight
Do I have to give up all the foods I love?
NO! We are a partnership working towards getting you on the road to better health. Apps Chiropractic & Wellness is here to help you set and achieve your health goals. We are flexible starting with small changes that will have the most impact. Our goal is to get you back in charge of your health and wellness through your own personalized plan.
How do I start today?
A good way to rejuvenate your health is by eating nutritiously and becoming more active. Diet is a powerful intervention for the prevention and treatment of disease. In fact, even a few simple changes in your diet and lifestyle can have a positive impact on your health—and may prevent a variety of chronic health problems in the future. As part of his/her extensive education, Apps Chiropractic & Wellness is trained in nutrition and wellness promotion. We can offer you nutritional counseling as well as lifestyle tips to get you moving in the right direction.
Start today to make better choices that will fuel and strengthen your body. The American Chiropractic Association (ACA) offers some simple suggestions:
- Exercise at least 20 to 30 minutes up to five days a week.
- Eat out more sparingly. Food preparation methods in restaurants often involve high amounts of fats, sugar and salt.
- Brown-bag your lunch to control your fat, salt and sugar intake while adding nutritious fruits, vegetables and grains.
- Limit alcohol and quit smoking. Drinking alcohol excessively and/or smoking hinder your body’s ability to absorb nutrients from your food.
- Research shows that smokers suffer from back pain more than nonsmokers do.¹
- Practice mindfulness on a daily basis. This could come in the form of yoga, meditation or journaling.
- Aim to sleep 6 to 8 hours a night. When possible, sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs rather than on your back.
- Dietary Changes
- Eat more raw foods. Fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables always have more natural vitamins and minerals.
- Select organically grown foods when possible because they have lower amounts of toxic elements, such as pesticides and heavy metals.
- Consume 25 to 35 grams of fiber a day. Whole-grain breads and cereals, beans, nuts and some fruits and vegetables are good sources of fiber.
- Be sure to hydrate your body through adequate fluid intake, with water and other beverages that do not contain added sugars or chemicals. Juicy foods such as many fruits and vegetables can also help you meet your fluid requirements.
- Limit your sugar intake. Eating/drinking added sugar (i.e., sodas, fruit drinks, desserts, candy, ready-to-eat cereals, etc) leads to weight gain and obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
Research shows that a good vegetarian diet as part of a comprehensive health program can help prevent heart disease, cancer and other diseases. If you are considering a vegetarian diet, keep the following tips in mind:
- Don’t rely on fruits and vegetables at the expense of grains and legumes. Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables to consume a wide range of nutrients.
- Tiredness, malaise, and anemia can be signs of deficiencies. Have your B12 and iron levels checked at least once a year.
- Consume fortified foods or take supplements to obtain the nutrients you no longer get from animal-based products, such as vitamin B12 and vitamin D.
- Before eliminating animal products from the diet, learn to do it right. Children, pregnant and breastfeeding women, and people recovering from illness should consult their health care practitioners before making such a change.
Apps Chiropractic & Wellness is happy to answer any questions you might have. Please call our office to take charge of your nutritional habits today (414) 755-0016.